Software Engineer - Toronto
Northbound is committed to building a new type of media company. One that uses innovative technology to build the most engaging properties on the web. We have a clear vision on what we want to achieve and what it will take to get there. We understand the importance of having a strong team and our top priority is to enable you to do your best work and develop your career.
This is an unbeatable opportunity for a Software Engineer who wants to work at a digital media company with great people and the latest tech.
- Work on our platform that sorts through billions of requests producing millions of users monthly
- Utilize cutting edge technologies to combine relational database design methodologies with modern horizontally scaling systems
- Contribute to existing as well as build new systems using elastic, high availability methodologies primarily using PHP
- Excel in an agile environment overseeing multiple projects where the focus is getting the job done, not red tape
- 1-3 years experience in software development. We are language agnostic here so as long as you can code, you qualify
- B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field
- Working level understanding of RDBMS design and SQL
- Intermediate knowledge of source control concepts using Git, SVN, TFS, CVS or equivalent
- Great verbal and interpersonal communications skills to work with others who are less technical
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and perform multiple job tasks simultaneously
- PHP or Java or Node.JS guru
- Comfortable with Linux administration and web servers like nginx and apache
- Understanding of NoSQL design patterns and best practices
- Knowledge of AWS services such as EC2, RDS, CloudFront (the list goes on)
- Familiar with cache systems such as Memcached or Redis
- Experience extending or customizing existing products/frameworks such as WordPress
- Money. This includes a competitive base salary as well as generous goal and performance-based financial incentives.
- 4 day Work Week. Being more productive doesn’t mean working more hours. At Northbound we believe in getting the job done properly and a good team doesn’t need to live in the office.
- Flexible Hours. Do you need to work from home sometimes? Or leave early when for an appointment. Northbound is flexible to anyone schedule.
- Get a bike, transit pass or Uber Credit. How do you commute to work? Get a Presto or Uber Credit for your daily commute. Do you prefer to bike? We’ll give you one.
- $500 Fitness & Health Allowance. Stay healthy however you’d like. Get a gym membership, new tennis gear or rock climbing.
- Attend Industry Conferences. Every employee should get a chance to attend a conference, not just the most senior members.
- Spotify or Audible Membership. What do you listen to while you work? Try Spotify premium or Audible on us.
- Choose your Preferred Workstation. Choose your own laptop.
Let us know if
- You’ve created any really cool software projects
- You’ve contributed to an open source project
- You are a web tech ninja who enjoys coaching your colleagues